Monday, June 25, 2012

Nerd on Nerd action! Dollish Polish It's a Me Mario over Cult Nails Time Traveler



I recently purchased three of Dollish Polish's gamer polishes, 
the Legend of Zelda duo, and the Super Mario Brothers-
themed It's a Me Mario.  (Am I the only person who 
desperately wants there to be a comma after "me" in that
 name?  Yes? OK, then). 

It's a me [no comma] Mario consists of medium red and blue
 hex glitters, tiny square red and blue glitters, and the 
occasional silver holographic star glitter, all suspended in a 
clear base.

I bought it in one of those high-adrenaline bigcartel openings 
and clicked 'buy buy buy,' snagged the three polishes, losing 
GTL to a cruel cart-jacking incident and then sat there 
wondering what I was doing to myself.  I wasn't even sure I
wanted a red and blue glitter.








It was a sad, sad day in Sad Day Town.









I found myself in almost buyer's remorse and wondered what in the heck I would wear it with.













Then I got it in the mail and immediately changed my mind. The glitter in Mario is egregiously sparkly, and I am critically weak against ridiculously sparkly things.  

This is one of those polishes that pictures tend not to do justice, though I do think that the polish base you choose for it likely makes a huge difference in showing off its glories.


The power of the sparkles compels you!
In my case, I chose to pair It's a me [ ] Mario with cult Nails Time Traveler, a dark, almost navy blue jelly/creme hybrid that I love for its depth, ease of application and gorgeous color. 


I liked the idea of choosing a darker blue polish so that the blue and red polishes could pop.


Like most of my very dark polishes, I tend to top it with glitters, though it's beautiful on its own.

Check out the outrageous sparkle on my palm! 



I come from a long line of geeky/nerdy people, so the idea of topping a Doctor Who-named polish with a video gaming polish really made my day.  

Like Dollish's Hero of Time, I would generally not use this polish alone to try to get full opacity, but it does pack a pretty substantial glitter punch with 1-2 coats.  This here is two very thin coats, because I wanted Time Traveler to show well on the nail.

I love both of these polishes so. damn. much. 


One thing I will say about It's a Me Mario:  the stars are pretty sparsely distributed, or at least they were in my bottle.  I think you should look at the stars as a fun surprise bonus when they show up, rather than expecting them, sort of like the stars on Tootsie Pop wrappers.  I don't mind this, but it's something you should be aware of if you're charmed by the stars or despise shapely glitters. 


This picture is a bit less sharp, but i think it does a better job of showing how much the polishes popped, even in less bright light. 
Did I mention that this polish is way sparkly?  This is in the shade.




Here's another picture in full sun.  These pictures are all from the second day I wore this mani, and after I had hand-washed a full load of dishes.



I wore this polish for around 4 days, and ended up with just a bit of tip wear, which was mostly because I went on a crazy cleaning and cooking spree.  Time Traveler wears like iron.



I only ended up taking this mani off today because my Seche Vite had separated a bit on one nail so it looked like I had a huge bubble in my mani.  Every once in a while this happens, but I haven't heard anyone else mention it.  I wonder if I have some sort of freakish chemistry or if most people just don't think it's worth mentioning.






Even the Boy, who generally enjoys my polish habit more because it makes me happy, rather than because he likes nail polish, repeatedly gushed about what a gorgeous mani this turned out to be.  I think he will mourn when he gets home tonight and I have a totally non-geeky polish on. But I snapped a nail and am down to nondescript stubs and relatively neutral polishes until I get over it.

Delicious, delicious glitter <3 I miss you already.

This mani was inspiring to me, so this weekend, I played Wii Super Mario with the Boy, and watched a bit of Doctor Who and Torchwood. The Boy and I are also rewatching Firefly, which means I'll need to drag out my Nerdlacquer Shiny soon, though I think I'll wait until all the nails peek above my fingertips first ^^;


That is one happy glitter-loving kitteh!

Dollish Polish It's a me [] Mario over Cult Nails Time Traveler:
KITTEH APPROVED.  BOY APPROVED.  FLANGE APPROVED.


This almost never happens.  I may have to buy backups of both of these polishes. 


On the other hand, I tend not to wear the flashier manis during most of the school year, because my students are freakishly distracted by non-traditional nail polish.


You'd think college students wouldn't blink at random nail polish, but even soft pastel blues usually get a response, at least early on.  By the end of the semester, I start breaking out the holos and glitters because they don't care and I don't care :DDD




Kitteh showing off an awesome combination of polishes
while trying to stay cool in 100 degree weather



Cult Nails can be purchased here, and I believe there's a 48 hour sale right now where Maria is offering free shipping for orders over $50. 

Dollish Polish can be bought when stock is available at her bigcartel site here, and at overall beauty.  She also announced recently that she will soon also be available at llarowe.





No comments:

Post a Comment